Saturday, July 22, 2006

Leaving home

It has hardly struck me, but I should have realized it.

In no less than a month and a half, I shall depart from this country. I will carry with me no less than my physical possessions which marks a transition from a life of dependency (not that mum and dad are not paying my bills!), to one of independence. This is in no way a declaration. I’ve seen my fair share of individuals basking in the full glow of post-teenage exuberance, who took the very same steps I’m taking, but choosing to divorce all links that they see themselves leaving behind. I for one am excited at the daunting prospect of living a new life, but I will miss what is here, for they will and always will be an essential part of me.

However, this is no excuse for reservations. It is a new country, new people, new culture. It will, I’m certain at every step, trigger a foreign taste upon the senses, challenging every perception. I can choose to shudder in fear and lock myself in the dim enclose of a culture shock or re-evaluate and consider my perceived world. If you ask me now, I can certainly elect the latter, but I’m well too aware of myself to know that it will take a whole lot of bravado to put aspiration to realism. It is indeed going to be an experience, not just in coming to terms with my new life, but most importantly, coming to terms with myself.

So, to the week ahead, more fat lunches and indulgent dinners.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gavin said...

Cheers to a new world, new experiences and new things. Eat to our hearts content, drink to our bottom's full and enjoy the wonderful times that is life.

Well deserved freedom, and let us not waste it, and remember, I want to hear rom you when you're back for vacation.

Here's to good food and pretty women.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 5:55:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Hotel New World Survivor 1986 said...

It's good that you have decided to embark on a new life which we know that it is not easy for you. However, with your maturity, we are confident that you will do well & most important of all Be Happy Always in whatever you are doing. Wishing you happiness and good health always.

Friday, November 10, 2006 at 5:36:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home