Saturday, September 22, 2007

Tutorial

Something happened during Philosophy this week, it went something like this:

T is for my friend. G is for me

T: What are you doing now?

G: I am sitting in here listening to you lecture

T: Why are you sitting in here? Why are you listening to me lecture?

G: Well, because I am suppose to attend this class. I am doing this course and as such to do well in this course, it is essential I listen attentively to your lecture.

T: Why do you then do this course? Why do you then want to do well in this course?

G: Firstly, I love Philosophy, I believe it represents the one study which transcends our mundane lives. Secondly, doing well in this course will allow me to be on my way to getting a good degree, which will get me into graduate school and for me to seek the job I always wanted/

T: Why do you want do get that job you always wanted? Why do you want to transcend this mundane life you are talking about?

G: Well, I guess because it is the job that will get me the most fulfillment. And for the second question, I guess being able to transcend the mundane life will grant me fulfillment as well

T: Why do you want to seek this so called fulfillment?

G: Hmm.. Because finding fulfillment is the reason why we are able to continue sustaining ourselves. Without fulfillment, I can imagine what life will become

T: But why the need to sustain ourselves? Why the need to fear life without fulfillment?

G: Because if we can’t sustain ourselves. We can’t go on living. And if I can’t find fulfillment, I’ll fear living.

T: You can’t go on living?

G: Well. Maybe living physically, but my inner self would completely lose the zest for life

T: So, this fulfillment? Do you find fulfillment in all things?

G: No, of course not.

T: Then do you find fulfillment in some things?

G: Yes.

T: Are all these things morally permissible?

G: No.

T: If so, you find fulfillment in some things you would deem immoral.

G: Certainly.

T: So, if you find fulfillment in things immoral, that makes part of what you seek immoral?

G: I guess so.

T: If such, do you think these immoral things serve for the betterment of your life?

G: Certainly not, some of it is harmful

T: As such, how can you say fulfillment is the sole ambition of your life?

G: I do not. I mean it is what we seek.

T: Do you seek, even in part, what is wrong?

G: No. We do wrong, we do not seek wrong

T: But you said you seek fulfillment and part of what fulfillment presents for you is wrong. So how can it just solely be fulfillment that brings about the betterment of your life?

G: Well, then. I may seek fulfillment, but not all fulfillment that I seek is the best for me.

T: Certainly sounds like it.

G: But what is wrong? And what is right?

T: Crafty.. but I do know that we have to find something much more objectively convincing than fulfillment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home